Mohannad Abou Saleh, MD1, Muhammad Talal Sarmini, MD1, Carol Rouphael, MD1, Emad Mansoor, MD2, Amitabh Chak, MD3, John Vargo, MD, MPH1, Amit Bhatt, MD4
1Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH; 2University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, Cleveland, OH; 3University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH; 4Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
Introduction: Most carcinoid tumors occur in the GI tract. Epidemiologic studies evaluating gastric carcinoid (GC) tumors were limited by small sample size. Our aim was to obtain an epidemiologic survey of GC tumors using population-based data in order to identify the prevalence and underlying associations.
Methods: A commercial database (Explorys Inc, Cleveland, OH), an aggregate of electronic medical records from 26 major integrated US healthcare systems. was used. We identified all patients aged 18 and older who were diagnosed with gastric carcinoid tumors between 1996 and 2018 based on Systematized Nomenclature Of Medicine – Clinical Terms (SNOMED-CT) and evaluated the prevalence of GC tumors. We also performed analyses to describe age-, race-, and gender-based distributions and to identify associations. Annual inpatient admissions trend was reviewed using the National Inpatient Sample (NIS) database 2008-20014 where all patients with GC were identified.
Results: Of the 62,881,700 individuals in the database, 1,590 were identified to have GC tumors with prevalence of 2.53/100,000. Individuals with GC tumors were more likely to be females [OR: 1.43; 95% CI 1.30 to 1.59, p< 0.0001], elderly (age >65) [OR: 4.26; 95% CI 3.56 to 4.70, p< 0.0001], Caucasians [OR: 2.18; 95% CI 1.95 to 2.44, p< 0.0001], smokers [OR: 3.01; 95% CI 2.61 to 3.47, p< 0.0001], with history of alcohol use [OR: 3.01; 95% CI 2.69 to 3.36, p< 0.0001], diabetes mellitus (DM) [OR: 9.76; 95% CI 8.84 to 10.78, p< 0.0001], pernicious anemia [OR: 122.00; 95% CI 104.03 to 141.99, p< 0.0001], obesity [OR: 6.38; 95% CI 5.74 to 7.10, p< 0.0001], family history of cancer [OR: 8.86; 95% CI 7.82 to 10.05, p< 0.0001], and multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 [OR: 900.01; 95% CI 576.22 to 1405.75, P< 0.0001] (figure 1). Prevalence in the past 5 years is on the rise in the Explorys database (figure 2). Of the study group, 40 (3%) had total gastrectomy, 140 (9%) had subtotal gastrectomy, and 190 (12%) had surgical excision of the tumor. Using NIS database, we identified total of 53,281,476 inpatient admissions between 2008 and 20014 of which 1,334 were diagnosed with GC. The trend analysis showed that the number of annual inpatient admissions with GC is also gradually increasing as shown in Figure 3 (P < 0.001).
Discussion: This is the largest epidemiological study evaluating the prevalence of GC tumors. We estimated the prevalence rate of GC tumors to be 2.53/100,000. The overall prevalence is rising with increase in the annual admissions as well.
Citation: Mohannad Abou Saleh, MD; Muhammad Talal Sarmini, MD; Carol Rouphael, MD; Emad Mansoor, MD; Amitabh Chak, MD; John Vargo, MD, MPH; Amit Bhatt, MD. P0851 - THE PREVALENCE OF CARCINOID TUMORS OF THE STOMACH IN THE USA: A POPULATION-BASED STUDY. Program No. P0851. ACG 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting Abstracts. San Antonio, Texas: American College of Gastroenterology.