Benjamin J. Crooks, MA, MBBS, MRCP1, John McLaughlin, BSc, MBChB, PhD, FRCP2, Jimmy K. Limdi, FRCP, FACG1
1Northern Care Alliance, Bury, England, United Kingdom; 2Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Introduction: The increasing incidence of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in developing countries and immigrant populations appears to outpace that which genetic influences alone could instigate and implicates “westernisation” and diet in the aetiopathogenesis of IBD . Limited data exist on the dietary practices of the migrant South Asian population with IBD. We aim to describe the dietary practices of British South Asian patients with IBD and the information resources which guide these beliefs.
Methods: A prospective, cross-sectional, questionnaire-based study is being conducted in the UK. Two-hundred South Asian patients with IBD will complete a questionnaire regarding demographics and dietary practices. Here we provide an interim analysis of the data collected from the first 27 patients.
Results: Mean patient age was 36.1 years (59% male). 56% had UC and 44% Crohn’s. 62% identified themselves as Pakistani, 19% as Indian and 19% as Bangladeshi. 74% of patients were born in the UK to parents born outside of the UK, the remaining 26% were born outside of the UK. Mean disease duration was 10.2 years.
48% considered diet to be an initiating factor in their IBD, based on their own experience (100%) and internet resources (31%). 63% of patients felt that diet had triggered a relapse of their disease, the most commonly reported foods being spicy (65%), fatty foods (53%), milk products (35%) and red meat (35%). 81% of patients avoided certain foods in an attempt to prevent an IBD “flare”. Most frequently avoided foods were spicy foods (91%), fatty foods (86%), coffee and carbonated drinks (55%) and red meat (50%). Just over a third of patients reported being able to find specific dietary advice for IBD, most commonly on the internet. Around half of patients avoided eating the same meal as their family or eating out to prevent relapse of their IBD.
Discussion: Dietary restriction may be highly prevalent amongst the British South Asian community with IBD with a high proportion reporting diet as an initiating factor and trigger for IBD. Studies on immigrant populations may hold valuable clues for IBD pathogenesis or related symptoms. A larger dataset will be presented at conference proceedings.
Citation: Benjamin J. Crooks, MA, MBBS, MRCP; John McLaughlin, BSc, MBChB, PhD, FRCP; Jimmy K. Limdi, FRCP, FACG. P1424 - DIETARY PRACTICES AND BELIEFS OF BRITISH SOUTH ASIAN PATIENTS WITH INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE: A PROSPECTIVE STUDY FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM. Program No. P1424. ACG 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting Abstracts. San Antonio, Texas: American College of Gastroenterology.