Reading Beyond dementia will educate librarians, publishers, and community members on how to better equip libraries and public spaces to be dementia-friendly. We share tips on how to promote reading to this growing demographic based on our experience working with libraries and community members. We will also highlight existing and emerging research supporting the cognitive benefits of reading for this demographic, and the benefits of becoming dementia-friendly both individuals living with dementia and libraries.
Our presentation will cover the following :
1) What is dementia and dementia friendly books?
2) Our background and experience working in this sector
3) Trends in aging and dementia
4) Benefits of becoming dementia-friendly to individuals with dementia
5) Benefits of becoming dementia-friendly to libraries and public groups
6) How to become dementia-friendly
7) Testimonials and highlights
8) Wrap-up with time for Q and A.
We will also provide take-home resources for the audience.
ALA Unit/Subunit: AFL
Meeting Type: Exhibitor Session