Education, Training, and Competencies
Concurrent Education Session - 60 minutes
Ethics in healthcare is a topic that is too often ignored or not discussed, and the implications for IPC requires deep examination and exploration. This session will focus on how ethics is part of the daily functions of an IP and will teach participants to understand their role in ethical situations in their settings.
This interactive session will cover a number of issues, including:
• The impact of ethics on good patient outcomes.
• How to objectively rule out HAIs objectively.
• Consulting medical providers in device utilization, laboratory testing, antimicrobial stewardship, and other IPC needs.
• Family and visitor IPC situations including service animals.
• Providing objective IPC services to patients that may elicit judgment reactions such as the frequent flyer, drug abuser, and others.
• Employee health considerations.
• The ethics of isolation precautions.
Participants will use evidence to review some practical tools and methods that can be utilized to address ethical IPC issues. This session will include a discussion of scenarios requiring ethical considerations and will teach strategies to empower the IPC team and enhance their decision-making skills when they encounter ethical issues.