University of Southampton School of Medicine
Birch, Professor Brian
BA, MA, MB, BChir, MD (Cantab), FRCS (Eng)
• Department of Urology University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
• University of Southampton School of Medicine
• Adult urology
• Oncology, bladder dysfunction, prostate disease, men’s sexual health
Training and education:
• Undergraduate: St Catharine’s College, Cambridge University and King’s College Hospital, London
• Postgraduate: King’s College, Bromley, Watford, High Wycombe, John Radcliffe and Eastbourne Hospitals. UCL and Institute of Urology, London and University Hospital Southampton.
• Recognition of aggressive nature and poor outcomes of T1 G3 bladder cancer.
• Involvement in setting up of MDR (multiple drug resistence) research group and studies into MDR in bladder cancer.
• Use of sedation reversal in local anaesthetic day-case surgery.
• Research on inflammatory bladder disease.
• Research into hypogonadism and cellular effects of testosterone on prostate cancer.
Awards and prizes
• Scholarship, St Catharine's College Cambridge University
• First class hons, Cambridge University
• 1st Prize Final FRCS Revision Course, Royal College of Surgeons
• McNeill Love Prize in Surgery, Whittington and Royal Northern Hospitals
• Everidge Research Prize in Urology, King's College Hospital
• Clifford Morson Prize, Institute of Urology
• Best Paper, Urological Research Society meeting
• Shackman Travelling Scholarship
• BUF Preceptorship