University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2012
Dissertation: Biomechanics of leaning and downward reaching tasks in young and older women
M.S., Biomedical Engineering (Biomechanics Concentration), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2005
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, 2003
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, IL 2018-Present
Affiliate Faculty, Computational Science and Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, IL 2017-Present
Affiliate Faculty, Department of Psychology
Inaugural Faculty, Carle Illinois College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, IL 2014-Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology and Community Health
Affiliate Faculty, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
Affiliate Faculty, Center on Health, Aging and Disability
Faculty, Neuroscience Program
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 2012-2014
Postdoctoral Scholar, Institute for Neural Computation
Investigation of risk factors for injury or disability during the performance of goal-directed movements Age-related and disease-related changes in postural control Behavioral and neural mechanisms underlying postural and gait dysfunction in older adults with and without neurological disorders Non-linear dynamical analysis of short and noisy time series data
Biomechanics of human movement Fall prevention Neuromechanics Neurorehabilitation Occupational and rehabilitation biomechanics Interdisciplinary group projects focused on critical thinking in problem identification and involving open-ended problems
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
1. Hernandez ME, O’Donnell E, Chaparro G, Holtzer R, Izzetoglu M, Sandroff B, Motl R. Brain activation changes during balance and attention demanding tasks in middle and older aged adults with multiple sclerosis. Motor Control; (In press).
2. Chaparro G, Stine-Morrow EAL, Hernandez ME. Effects of aerobic fitness on cognitive performance as a function of dual-task demands in older adults. Experimental Gerontology; 2019; 118: 99-105.
3. Sandroff BM, Hernandez ME, Holtzer R, Izzetoglu M, Motl RW. Examining the patterns of prefrontal cortex activation during performance of an executive function task in persons with multiple sclerosis using functional near-infrared spectroscopy. Current Trends in Neurology; 2017; 11: 31-40.
4. Chaparro G, Balto JM, Sandroff BM, Holtzer R, Izzetoglu M, Motl RW, Hernandez ME. Frontal brain activation changes due to dual-tasking under partial body weight support conditions in older adults with multiple sclerosis. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation 2017; 14:65. doi:10.1186/s12984-017-0280-8.
5. Klaren RE, Balto JM, Sandroff BM, Chaparro G, Hernandez ME, Motl RW. Preliminary evidence for the effects of aging and multiple sclerosis on cognitive performance: an analysis based on effect size estimates. Experimental Aging Research 2017; 346-354. doi:10.1080/ 0361073X.2017.1333820.
6. Motl RW, Chaparro G, Hernandez ME, Balto JM, Sandroff BM. Physical function in older adults with multiple sclerosis: an application of the short physical performance battery. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy 2016; doi:10.1519/JPT.0000000000000115.
7. Hernandez ME, Holtzer R, Chaparro G, Jean K, Balto JM, Sandroff BM, Izzetoglu M, Motl RW. Brain activation changes during locomotion in middle-aged to older adults with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurological Sciences 2016; 370:277-283. doi:10.1016/j.jns.2016.10.002.
8. Moon J, Sung J, An R, Hernandez ME, Sosnoff JJ. Gait Variability in People with Neurological Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Human Movement Science 2016; 47:197-208. doi:10.1016/j.humov.2016.03.010.
9. Hernandez ME, Snider J, Stevenson C, Cauwenberghs G, Poizner H. A correlation-based framework for evaluating postural control stochastic dynamics. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering 2016; 24, 551-61. doi:10.1109/TNSRE.2015.2436344.
10. Lainscsek C, Hernandez ME, Poizner H, Sejnowski T. Delay Differential Analysis of Electroencephalographic Data. Neural Computation 2015; 27(3):615-27. doi:10.1162/NECO_a_00656.
11. Lainscsek C, Hernandez ME, Weyhenmeyer J, Sejnowski T, Poizner H. Non-linear dynamical analysis of EEG time series distinguishes patients with Parkinson’s disease from healthy individuals. Frontiers in Neurology 2013; doi:10.3389/fneur.2013.00200.
12. Lainscsek C, Weyhenmeyer J, Hernandez ME, Poizner H, Sejnowski T. Non-linear dynamical classification of short time series of the Rössler system in high noise regimes. Frontiers in Neurology 2013; doi:10.3389/fneur.2013.00182.
13. Lukos JR, Snider J, Hernandez ME, Tunik E, Hillyard S, Poizner H. Parkinson’s disease patients show impaired corrective response control and eye-hand coupling when reaching to virtual objects. Neuroscience 2013; 254:205-21. doi:10.1016/j.neuroscience.2013.09.026.
14. Hernandez ME, Ashton-Miller JA, Alexander NB. Age-related differences in maintenance of balance during forward reach to the floor. The Journals of Gerontology: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 2013; 68(8):960-967.
15. Hernandez ME, Ashton-Miller JA, Alexander NB. The effect of age, movement direction, and target size on the maximum speed of targeted COP movements in healthy women. Human Movement Science 2012; 31:1213-1223.
16. Hernandez ME, Ashton-Miller JA, Alexander NB. Age-related changes in speed and accuracy during rapid targeted center of pressure movements near the posterior limit of the base of support. Clinical Biomechanics 2012; 27(9):910-916.
17. Hernandez ME, Goldberg A, Alexander NB. Decreased muscle strength relates to self-reported stooping, crouching, or kneeling difficulty in older adults. Physical Therapy 2010; 90:67-74.
18. Hernandez ME, Murphy SL, Alexander NB. Characteristics of older adults with self-reported stooping, crouching, or kneeling difficulty. The Journals of Gerontology: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 2008; 63A(7):70-74.
19. Goldberg A, Hernandez ME, Alexander NB. Trunk repositioning errors are increased in balance-impaired older adults. The Journals of Gerontology: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 2005; 60A(10):1310-1314.
Peer-reviewed Full Length Conference Proceedings
20. Hernandez ME, Sowers R, Thompson N, Krishnan G, Hsiao-Wecksler ET. Body-in-the-loop control of soft robotic exoskeletons during virtual manual labor tasks. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) Workshop on Robotics in Virtual Reality; (in press).
21. Ziegelman L, Hu Y, Hernandez ME. Neuromechanical simulation of hand pronation and supination task in Parkinson’s disease. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Proceedings of the 2018 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE; (in press).
22. Kaur R, Li X, Layton A, Hernandez ME, Sowers R. Virtual reality, visual cliffs, and movement disorders. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Proceedings of the 2018 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE; (in press).
23. Widdowson C, Ganhotra J, Faizal M, Wilko M, Parikh S, Adhami Z, Hernandez ME. Virtual reality applications in assessing the effect of anxiety on sensorimotor integration in human postural control. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Proceedings of the 2016 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE; doi:10.1109/EMBC.2016.7590633.
24. Weyhenmeyer J, Hernandez ME, Lainscsek C, Sejnowski T, Poizner H. Muscle Artifacts in Single Trial EEG data Distinguish Patients with Parkinson’s Disease from Healthy Individuals. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Proceedings of the 2014 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE; doi:10.1109/EMBC.2014.6944326.
25. Lainscsek C, Hernandez ME, Poizner H, Sejnowski T. Multivariate spectral analysis of electroencephalography data. Neural Engineering (NER), Proceedings of the 2013 6th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on; doi:10.1109/NER.2013.6696142.
26. Hernandez ME, Stevenson C, Snider J, Poizner H. Center of pressure velocity autocorrelation as a new measure of postural control during quiet stance. Neural Engineering (NER), Proceedings of the 2013 6th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on; doi:10.1109/NER.2013.6696172.
27. Hernandez ME, Xiang X, Park YE, Goenawan I, Yawson F, Lowe E. Implementation of an Integrated Product Development Competition in a Rural Dominican Community: Lessons Learned. Proceedings of the 118th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Engineering Education, 2011, AC 2011-1102.
Collaborations in Health, Aging, Research, and Technology
Principal Investigator, “Feasibility of virtual reality and brain-computer interface technology for neurorehabilitation of fall-related anxiety in frail older adults”
Amount: $4,971 Total Costs
Percent effort: no support
Jump Applied Research for Community Health through Engineering and Simulation
Principal Investigator, “Simulation of postural dysfunction in Parkinson’s disease”
Pending Amount: $49,976 Total Costs
Percent effort: 5.5%
University of Illinois Campus Research Board
Principal Investigator, “The effect of fall-related anxiety on the cognitive control of gait in older women with osteoarthritis”
Amount: $24,541 Total Costs
Percent effort: no support
University of Illinois Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research Equipment Funding
Principal Investigator, “Equitest balance assessment system for assessment of fall risk in aging and disabled populations”
Amount: $128,000 Total Costs
Percent effort: no support
National Institutes of Health NRSA Individual Pre-doctoral Fellowship, F31 AG024689
Principal Investigator, “Training in trunk control biomechanics in older adults”
Alexander, NB, Ashton-Miller, JA (co-mentors)
Amount: $207,665 Total Costs
Percent effort: 100%
Honors & Awards
University of Michigan Rackham Conference Travel Grant (2009-2011)
National Institute of Health Individual Pre-doctoral Research Fellowship (2005-2010)
Engineering Graduate Symposium Oral Presentation 1st Place Winner (2008)
Epeians – Engineering Leadership Honor Society (2008)
Distinguished Leadership Award (2007)
Student Legacy Award Honorable Mention (2007)
Ginsberg Center Award for Community Service & Social Action’s Outstanding Community Impact Award (2006)
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Honorable Mention (2004)
College of Engineering MLK Spirit Award Recipient (2004)
GEM M.S. Engineering Fellowship (2004)
Biomedical Engineering Departmental Fellowship (2003)
Pi Tau Sigma - Mechanical Engineering Honor Society (2003)
Eaton Minority Engineering Scholar (2000-2002)
Ford Motor Company Scholarship Recipient (1999-2003)
Robert C. Byrd Scholarship Recipient (1999-2003)